Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Attack at Complex Nightclub in St. Louis

Attack at Complex Nightclub in St. Louis
By 365gay Newswire

11.30.2009 11:45am EST

KSDK reported that three gay men were attacked early Saturday morning when leaving The Complex Nightclub in St. Louis.

One of the men attacked, Jacob Piwowarczyk said, “I have a soft tissue bruise on my elbow. I have six stitches in my eye and I have a mild concussion.”

Piwowarczyk recalled there were four attackers. “They came up out of the car and they start calling us faggots.”

He continued, “We kept telling them please leave us alone, we’re fine. From there, the one kid didn’t like what we told them and decided to punch me in the eye and I fell to the ground. And at that time my friend was laying on the ground and they started kicking him in the face.”

Gay rights advocates say existing state and new federal laws on hate crimes could mean harsh penalties for the attackers.

According to the Vital Voice, Missouri was one of the first states to include both sexual orientation and gender identity protections in its 1999 Hate Crimes Law.

Piwowarczyk said, “Health-wise we’re all fine. We’re just lucky to be alive. Could have turned out worse.”

KSDK also reported that the other two victims suffered a broken nose and fractured cheekbone.

The police department is still investigating.